Saturday, October 8, 2011

Zombie Week A.K.A the whole story of my teeth

So this week I have had kind of a Zombie Week. I just kind of went through the actions. Not really looking for happiness like I did last week. 
(Don't worry, I'm still happy. And next week will be better)
It didn't start out too great because I found out that I wont get my real fake teeth for another 3 weeks. 
I've waited 6+ years for those teeth. 
6+ years.

For those of you who don't know the story here it is:

I was born without 3 adult teeth. I had the baby teeth but as I got older they never came out on their own so they had to be pulled. So for a while I just had no teeth. Then after a while they had some fake ones made and attached to the wires of my braces. After my braces got removed I was given a retainer with fake teeth attached. I've had that same retainer ever since 6th grade. I can't even begin to count how many times it has been altered. I have had 2 attempts at bone implants to be able to get implants for all three teeth. But one side never took so I have to get a bridge. A bridge means they shave down the surrounding teeth and place a "bridge" there. My dentist thought it be best if I got veneers too with the surrounding teeth to make everything look uniform. After 6+ years of waiting at the end of my senior year I was promised I'd have my permanent teeth in before I left for college. 
Then I got accepted to Summer Term. 
But the doctors assured me it could still be done. 
Then we decided to do whitening. 
Which postponed things yet again.
(Which later turned out to be a waste since I'm getting veneers anyway..)
 But still I was assured it would happen before I left. 
Then my knee blew up. 
That had to come first. 
And since I was leaving for summer and I wouldn't be home for more then 2 weeks until Christmas I was told I'd have to wait until then. 
So we found a dentist in Utah who could do it for me so I wouldn't have to wait so long. Everything was planned and it would happen late September. 
Nope.
I drove all the way to Salt Lake (with my lovely sister, thank you Sara.) to be told my dentist at home had forgotten to send the parts and they couldn't do anything until they had them. 
So yet again, everything was postponed. 
Finally the day came where they would put in the temporaries and send all the models and what not to the labs to make my permanent teeth. 
I had an appointment scheduled for 4 weeks later, just enough time for the lab to finish.
Or so I thought..
I was called the week before my appointment (which was this week) and told the lab needed 3 more days to make the teeth. 
"Okay," I thought "I can wait 3 more days." 
No. 
The only available appointment they had was not until the end of the month 3 weeks later. 

So. There is my story. And right now I am stuck with, what I think, are giant, discolored, stupid temporary teeth yet again. Teeth that I can't even bite into a Subway sandwich with. I have to be super careful about what I eat so the temporaries don't fall off or crack. 
(Now wouldn't that be a sight.)

Some part of me wonders if this is what it's going to be like forever. 
Me and my stupid teeth. 

I bet a lot of people are thinking I am ungrateful and stupid for being so dramatic about this. 
But hey, it's my blog and this is where I get to be dramatic. 

Let's just say it's been a long 6+ years and I cannot wait until I have my own, permanent teeth.


I do have to say that I am extremely blessed and grateful that my parents are willing to do all this. A lot of time and money is going into this and I am in no way ungrateful. Frustrated and impatient, but not ungrateful.

Also. I debated for a long time if I should write a blog about this and even tell people. I have been pretty self-conscious about this for a while. I hate being known as the girl who can pop her teeth out. But. I decided most people probably already knew, and if they didn't I wanted them to understand why every time they see me my smile has changed. 

And I guess it is pretty cool I can take my teeth out. I do a mean hill billy routine. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment