Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Book Of Mormon Musical

I am writing an OP-ED for my Writing class about the Book of Mormon Musical. The Musical is basically a mockery of all that me and my church believes. The songs turn things we as a church hold sacred into things worth laughing about. The play has won many Tony awards and the rave reviews keep on coming. But on writer for the Washington Post boldly wrote a brave response to the musical check it out-
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/amos-and-andy-and-the-book-of-mormon/2011/06/15/AGRlHPWH_blog.html

I'm having a hard time deciding where I stand on this one. Part of me thinks that the play is just a cruel mockery of all that I stand for. The writers made a very vulgar and crude comedy of all that I hold scared. In a way it validates all the stereotypes of the LDS church. And I can't help but think that if there was a play made about any other religion, say the Muslims of the Jewish religions, so many people would be up in arms about how morally unacceptable it was. And since the church took a more quite and less bold stand on it it makes the play seem like Mormons have no problem with the play. And personally, I'm a little offended.

But the other part of me thinks that maybe it was a good idea to not make a very bold statement as to not let this be a huge deal and cause a ruckus. We all saw how the churches stand on Prop. 8 went over. It is true that something as simple as a play will not hinder the church it all it's accomplishments. And maybe any publicity is good publicity. Maybe people will become more curious about the church and go to the true source for information.

I don't know. It's an interesting thing this play. I'm not going to go see it I know that for sure. I'll post my OP-ED up after I'm done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment