Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Little Ones

My roommate had her little cousins over the other day and now it's got me thinking about kids pretty much non-stop. Not having kids of my own any time soon (you can exhale now everyone), but just how much I love kids in general. I guess I'm going through withdrawals from not being surrounded by kids 5 days a week.



I miss their stories. They would tell the craziest stories that you knew were not even close to true but you would pretend to believe them anyway just to hear all they could muster up with their wild imaginations. My mind is drawing a blank on some of the stories right now, I just remember the faces of the kids as they told their outlandish tales.

I miss their sweet comments. (Let me assure you they didn't just have nice things to say. They would ask me, "What are those red dots on your face?" I would respond, "Something I hope you get a lot of when you grow up." Just kidding..I wouldn't say that....) One of my favorite campers would say, "Miss Annie, I like your freckles." And then I would ask, "What else do you like about me?" Then she would list all the things she liked about me, "I like your hair, I like your shirt (the camp shirt that I wore everyday and every other counselor would wear), I like your shoes..." You get the point. She had a little St. Louis accent and I adored her.


I miss their competitiveness. Probably because I was one of, if not the most competitive girl in my grade. I was always trying to beat the boys at whatever I could. To this day I still remember beating Marshall Findley by one pull-up. One of my proudest moments. But anyways back to the kids, they would get that competitive juice flowing in me which probably isn't always good. But I loved how excited they got about games and how seriously they took them. Until it became a problem and they would argue with me that the other team stepped over the line, or the winner had been hit 6 times before they won, or any number of ways the winner "cheated." I miss playing dodgeball and kickball with them!

Ok. I would be lying if I said that all this kid talk didn't make me think about my own kids. I am just so excited to meet them. Is that weird? What are they going to be like? Will they be sporty and an extravert like me? Of will they be shy and quiet? Could I handle a shy kid? I hope so. But if my Grandma's predictions are right I'm going to be "blessed" with a daughter just like me. She predicted the same thing with my mom, and here I am, incredibly similar to my mother.

got this from pinterest. such a cutie!

As I was sitting in the CougarEat one day I heard this little girl say (or rather yell), "It's time to eat everybody! Close your eyes and fold your arms, it's time to pray!" I immediately thought, "I hope I will be able to be an example to my little ones so they will one day say the same thing."




No comments:

Post a Comment